A typical day begins with devotions and singing. The last song we sing is always a "Psalter of the Week," which is one that we will be singing in church the following Sunday. We learn a couple verses of that song, and hope that by the time we've sung it a few times, the kids will know it during church. Then we have a Bible lesson, and Emily does the calendar like the kindergarteners at Heritage have. Our "season" (on the calendar) is always summer, but sometimes we talk about what the weather is like in Michigan just for a little variety! :-)
For Jessica (4th) and Eric (3rd), this is followed by reading and math, and later in the day by English, penmanship, spelling, science, history, geography, and D.O.L. (Not all these subjects are taught every day!) On Fridays there is art, and I plan to add music too. Science and art are taught by my husband.
Jessica working on her English assignment, while Megan writes some "A"s
Eric and Emily, sweaty after a recess break, working on their assignments
Emily sits in on science, and otherwise follows a similar schedule to what she had at Heritage. On Tuesdays she has a show-and-tell that starts with the letter of the week. On Thursdays she does "work stations," made as similar to Heritage's as possible, with a worksheet or two about the letter of the week, a story read to her online for the "listening" station, a food that begins with that letter, a journal entry with a picture starting with the letter, and one or two other activities. This week's letter is "B," and she brought her "baby brother" for show-and-tell today.
When I was finished making the homeschooling schedule a couple months ago, I asked Jessica and Eric to look at it and tell me if I had missed anything. One said, "S.Q.U.I.R.T.!" and the other said, "D.E.A.R.!" ("Sustained Quiet Un-Interrupted Reading Time" and "Drop Everything and Read"). So I added that into the schedule, and the first time they had it, Jason even joined them!
Of course we have recess too! Conveniently, there is a playground located right off the elevator below our flat.
While the kids are doing their assignments, I throw a load of laundry in the washer or dryer, empty the dishwasher, grade papers...or rescue Jason from his latest predicament or mischief.
While we enjoyed our first few days of homeschooling, we very much miss Heritage. Homeschooling just isn't the same! We pray for our schools, teachers, and former classmates often. We pray that God will bless our efforts here, and the efforts of our teachers in the good Christian schools in the PRC, and use all of us for the good of our covenant children.
Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteYou make homeschooling look fun! Love seeing the pics of the kids! Our kids will love this new entry about how their friends are going to school in Singapore:)
With Love,
Belinda
Ditto what Belinda said...I can't wait to show this post to the kids. I'm sure the schedule and routine of homeschooling keeps you very busy! We pray that God will grant you strength and grace to carry out this part of your work in Singapore. Keeping all of you in our prayers always!
ReplyDelete~Mike, Lisa, and kids
We are enjoying your pics and seeing the kids in school!What was Rev.Lanning eating in the one pic.?I think that the caption just said fruit.He looked very thoughtful while trying it!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget "100 day" for Emily. The calendar reminded me of that and the straws for 1, 10, 100. (maybe they were swizzle stiks).
ReplyDeleteKeeping all our missionaries in our prayers.