Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Visit from Family

I mentioned earlier that my husband's parents were here in December.  I thought I'd share a few more of the things we did with them, in addition to the trip to Malaysia.

We showed them our neighborhood, including the wet market and fruit stand...


...enjoyed some of the Singapore scenery...
  

On the Singapore River

 

At Gardens by the Bay


View from Gardens by the Bay looking toward 
the Flyer (world's largest "ferris wheel")


Merlion and business district

...went to the Jurong Bird Park...




...and enjoyed the communion of the saints in Singapore.






Annual church caroling at different people's homes--This is
the home of an aunt and uncle of two young people from church.

We also spent a while at the Buddhist temple in Chinatown one day.  That's always an eye-opener.  These are only a few of the pictures I took of people worshiping the many idols in that temple.  We also had to stand aside for the monks to walk past us between chanting sessions.

 



Toward the end of Mom and Dad's visit we went to Sentosa island.



The southernmost point of continental Asia (because this tiny island we 
were on is linked by a bridge to Sentosa Island, which is linked by a bridge to 
Singapore, which is linked by a bridge to Malaysia, which is part of the mainland
...Does that really count?!)

This next picture sets up the following one.  See where the family is swimming?  And see the little island just beyond them?


Now, if you saw this walking across that little island and entering the water to go for a swim, would you keep swimming or not? :-)


(Just for the record, one got out, and the rest stayed in.  I wasn't in the water to start with, or there would have been two getting out!)




1 comment:

  1. Wow, what wonderful pictures, except for the huge lizard...I would have left the water too! yikes! The Garden by the Bay is a gorgeous picture & the flowers are so vibrant too. Thanks for sharing, it looks like the Lannings enjoyed themselves.

    ReplyDelete