Quite honestly, I am not the best person to write this blog, because I ended up in our "bungalow" with Jason during many of the speeches and activities! Three of the speeches started about the time some of our kids were going to bed, and Jason needed naps early a couple of the other days, putting it right during speech time. But I can tell you that the theme of the speech was the book of Judges, "Deliverers from the Lord." My husband gave speeches on Othniel, Deborah, Barak, and Jephthah (Deborah and Barak separately); Elder Chan gave a speech on Gideon; and Aaron Lim gave a speech on Samson. (Aaron is from Singapore but lives in the Grand Rapids area as he prepares to enter seminary next year, Lord willing.) Besides these speeches, there was a short one to close the camp, and an introductory speech by Prof. Hanko via DVD. That was the one speech I heard. He had Rev. VanBaren tape him at seminary. His love for the youth here was very clear, and I know the people here have a great love for Prof. Hanko also. So it was really neat that he was able to do this for them.
Besides all the speeches, there were times of singing and devotions, and then time also for games. On the last afternoon everyone went dragon boating, except for my four youngest kids and me. Only those ten years old and up are allowed to go dragon boating. I'm not sure I had ever heard of that before, but a bunch of people sit in a long, narrow boat and row with oars. The youth were divided into five groups and had a race, and it sounds like they had a great time. On the last night the three youngest kids and I went home, but Jessica and Eric stayed up with all the youth until 3:30 a.m. playing games and having water fights.
Here is one thing we never did at our young people's conventions: one evening each of us was given a big piece of paper with one glossy side, and given instructions on how to fold it to make our own dish for suppertime. I am not good at that kind of thing at all, so I was really glad that at future mealtimes the dishes were made in advance. :-)
Then, just a couple pictures of the youth spending time together:
We pray that the youth are blessed by the speeches and activities of the week.
I would have starved if I had to make my own dish-but it sounds as if they had a great time of study and fellowship!What a Blessing to all. - Chuck and Beth
ReplyDeleteIt is good to see and hear about your new life in Singapore. It looks like the people there have really embraced your family and made you feel welcome. The little Lannings look happy and healthy,too. A blessed Christmas from "Big Meghan" and I. She is in Edmonton,Alberta and we hope to meet up with her in Sioux Falls this coming week and celebrate with the whole family in Edgerton.
ReplyDeletewe are loving your blog, Stephanie! Warms our hearts to see how your family has blessed your church in Singapore, but also how their warm reception has also blessed your family. What a wonderful group of people!
ReplyDelete