Thursday, December 6, 2012

Miscellaneous Pictures

I have a couple of blog posts in mind but am waiting for pictures.  So in the meantime, here are some other miscellaneous pictures from our time here so far, including some of the foods we've eaten.


Wow, we are far from home!!!  
We flew through Seoul, South Korea, on our way here.  It was just a stop for refueling and cleaning the plane, but we all had to get off with all our luggage and go through security again, then get right back on the plane.


This is what jet lag in a hot country looks like! :-)


Our family with one of the young people, Bernice Lim, at her 18th birthday party


You learn something new every day! :-)
(This was at the zoo.)


Emily is our most adventurous eater.  She has always loved fish and shrimp, 
and is willing to try many other things here also. 


Emily eating a coconut curve
  "Curves" are like pancakes, folded up with filling in them.  Coconut and chocolate are the ones Emily and Megan like the most, although there are red bean paste and peanut paste ones as well!  They are sold at the "coffee shops" below our building.  Coffee shops here are not what we consider coffee shops in the U.S.  They are places where you can get local food meals at reasonable prices.  They are everywhere here, and very busy.  The following two pictures will give you some idea of what I'm talking about.



And a few more pictures of food...


This is prata, a fried dough, with a spicy curry sauce.  I was a little nervous to try it,
but it actually was good! :-)  I didn't use too much of the curry sauce though!


Strawberry prata--same idea as above, but with strawberry flavor instead of the curry sauce.  My husband describes this strawberry prata with sugar as being like the elephant ears we get in the U.S. at fairs and Tulip Time.  This picture doesn't look all that appetizing, but it really was very good!


There are Pizza Huts here.  I was so excited to see one and couldn't wait to have some good pepperoni pizza and cheesy breadsticks.  Well, they do have pepperoni pizza, but no breadsticks of any sort.  In fact, I got funny looks when I asked about breadsticks.  In spite of that glaring omission from the menu :-), the Pizza Huts here do have a much larger menu than ours in the U.S.  The menu includes squid ink linguine and this "Ocean Catch" pizza.  Some of our family tried this; I don't think anyone will be trying the squid ink linguine anytime soon!

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie,
    How fun to see some different foods! The kids and I were just talking last night about how the food would be different from what we are used to in the United States:) Thanks for keeping us updated so faithfully...
    With Love,
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have Pizza Hut here, too. With an interesting phone number: 911. (The full number is 911-11-11.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily you are a brave girl trying all that new food!! :)

    ReplyDelete