Hello from Singapore! I'm on an unfamiliar computer and need to go rest, but hopefully I can at least get a short post on here! I thought I was adjusted to the time change, but I was awake for two and a half hours in the middle of the night, so I guess not. :-)
I think that for those who may not know us well, I should give a quick introduction to our family so you will know who I am talking about when I refer to our children. Our oldest is Jessica, who turned 10 just ten days before we moved. She was in 4th grade at Heritage. Next is Eric, our 8-year-old 3rd-grader. Then we have Emily, 6, who just started kindergarten. Megan is 3 1/2, and Jason is 8 months old.
Our flights went well. The weather in San Francisco was just beautiful. They'd had a record high (if I heard correctly) of about 80 degrees the day we got there, and the next morning it was still warm and just the perfect temperature. After a little walk around the hotel area while waiting for our shuttle to the airport, we began our flight to Seoul. We'd thought it was 11 hours, but it was 11 hours and 45 minutes. The good news is that the next leg of the flight was an hour and a half shorter than we had thought (5 1/2 hours), so it all worked out in the end. :-) Jason kept us very busy, but really all the kids were good on the flights.
We were greeted at the airport by quite a few people from church, and arrived about the same time as Prof. & Mrs. Engelsma and John & Val VanBaren. We were taken in two cars to our flat, which was decorated with welcome banners, and many cards lying on a table waiting for each of us to open, welcoming us to Singapore and the church here. We got to bed about 4:20 a.m. Singapore time.
The last two days have been busy with shopping for various household items and just trying to get set up here. The flat is very nice. At some point I will post pictures, but like I said, this is an unfamiliar computer. I hope to get a computer of my own sometime soon, and then I'll be able to do more. Last night Andy, Jessica, and Emily went to a birthday party for a girl from church. Emily fell asleep and slept the whole time. :-) Megan fell asleep in the car on the way to Ikea at about 4:00 yesterday, and we could never wake her up. She slept until 6:00 or 6:30 this morning! So besides the busyness, we are still adjusting to the 13-hour time difference!
Anyway, that's it for now. I'll try to post more in a few days, including some pictures. Thank you all for your prayers these past few days, as we traveled and are now trying to settle in!
So glad to read your posts - we were wondering how you were adjusting to the time change! Thankful to God for safety in your trip and eager to read more about your new life in Singapore! Pam and Doug
ReplyDeleteSo thankful to hear that you arrived safely, that everything went well and that the kids did well on the flight! You have been in our thoughts and prayers a lot this past week! Couldn't wait to hear news that you arrived - so thanks for the post:) What a wonderful welcome for you at your new home - so special! Praying you feel God's love and grace as you adjust to your new surroundings and home. Love, David and Sara B. & family
ReplyDeleteHi Stephanie and family...SO glad to see your post!! We were wondering how you were doing with the time change. I remember being awake also in the middle of the nite. Thankful the kids were good too on your flight. Saw the pics of your welcome...brought tears to my eyes...so thankful you had this wonderful welcome. Continuing to pray for you in your new home, new life and new culture. Glad to hear your 'crate' finally got off too. Look 4ward to hearing more and seeing pics. Love, Pat
ReplyDeleteGreetings from the same time zone a few hours away in the Philippines. Good to hear you're safely there and starting to settle in. Hopefully we can catch up sometime in the future. May God's blessing be on you as you take up your life and work there. Regards, Daniel & Sharon.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you guys made it and are working on settling in. Sounds like it will take a bit to get sleep time figured out. I hope that doesn't make anyone too crabby! :) Looking forward to seeing some pics (when you get the chance!) Love, Cassie VO
ReplyDeleteStephanie,
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear you arrived safely and that you are starting to settle in! Our family continues to pray for you every night as you adjust to all the "new" parts of your lives. We are so happy for our Singapore brothers and sisters - that they may know the love and care that your family gave us.
Love,
Belinda